Wednesday, March 04, 2015

C'est intéressant w/c 2 Mar

Interesting, intriguing, exciting, amusing, enraging, fascinating things I recommend.

Essay - The New Enquiry: Permanent Records (by Molly Knefel)
Kids are uploading their adolescence in real-time, and the Internet refuses to forget. Will it change the way we live as adults?


Music - Ariel Pink: Black Ballerina
I went to his gig yesterday at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, and really enjoyed it. Dirty synths, dirty lyrics ('sexual athletics for the lucky ones'), and some songs so hard rock I realised I would have never come across them were they not his, as I don't normally like or go for this type of music. Researching him further today, I've discovered he has a few internet controversies to his name. Oh well. His drummer was wearing a bikini top also.

Book - Various Pets Alive & Dead (by Marina Lewycka)
Current read on my commute. I get a seat on the District line and off I go on a romp through a family's 70s memories and their life today. With its shortish chapters ending in cliffhangers, wit and constant shift between characters (daughter/son/mum), it reminds me of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City (a series I must admit I feel the need to re-read every five years or so!)

No comments: