Monday, April 16, 2012

Dance in New York

I went on holidays to NYC last week. It was fantastic, as ever with New York. Here are some dance highlights in pictures, words and videos.



I took a short pilgrimage to the Westbeth Artists' Housing on 55 Bethune Street, the home of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company for many years. I was going to the High Line, and it's only a short walk from there, I thought I had to see the place where the legendary choreographer worked from for many years. There is a photograph hanging in the lobby, signed by Cunningham. I tried to go up to the 11th floor, where the studios were, but unfortunately it was closed and the receptionist did his job pretty well!





--

Michael Clark Company is an associate company of the Barbican Centre (who I work for), so I was lucky to bag a couple of tickets to see them perform at the Whitney Museum, as part of their residency during the Biennial. The 45-minute performance starred six dancers (including an ex-Merce Cunningham Dance Company performer), Michael Clark himself, about 40 amateur performers, some mirror stools, black and orange unitards, cool black and white outfits, Jarvis Cocker and two musicians (forming his band Relaxed Muscle) performing live. It was ace, of course, with some good music,Cunningham-style choreography and humorous moves. Here they are bowing.


--

Hip hop is closely associated with New York, and I couldn't help but notice the group of performers entertaining tourists on Fifth Avenue on Easter Sunday (during the hat parade). They were great and drew a large audience. I saw another group further down the street, and yet another later in Central Park - I hadn't seen any during my last stay in the city five years ago, so not sure if this is a relatively new thing!

--

A highlight of the trip was visiting the Brooklyn Museum. Every first Saturday of the month, the museum is packed with people enjoying exhibitions, films and activities for free. I went to see their Keith Haring exhibition, and dance to DJ Junior Vasquez in their main gallery/atrium. The dancefloor was rammed with fierce fashion girls, breakers, gays, older people, kids running around, and people generally going wild, meters away from paintings by Monet, Pissaro and more, all under a giant chandelier. It was an incredible experience, in light of my arts marketing job, and my love of dancing. I particularly liked watching this hip hop/contemporary performer, whose cool style caught the attention of this little girl. You got a fan, mate!


--

Until next time...

No comments: